This "vintage" McDonald's in Upland from the early 1950s features the Golden Arches as part of the structure of the building. The McDonald brothers Richard and Maurice wanted an attractive building and hired Stanley Clark Meston from Fontana in 1952 to design one. The brothers wanted the arches to be a prominent feature of the building as they thought it will make the building stand out and attract customers.
The bright yellow stylized parabolic arches are 25 ft. tall and there is one on both sides of the building. This is how "golden arches" were born. They were also a part of the design of the new restaurants that opened between May 1953 and the 1960s, but the arches were removed from the building, and used as a logo instead.
Today, the Golden Arches symbolize McDonald’s. They resemble the letter "M" from "McDonald's" and are one of the most popular logos of the world. There are also some alternate versions of the arches. For instance, the arches in the McDonald’s in Sedona, Arizona are turquoise because the government officials are of the view that the yellow colors contrasts too much against the red rock. Some locations, such as the restaurant in Montrose, Colorado, have only one arch. The arches in the McDonalds at 610 Del Monte Ave., Monterey, California are black. The McDonald’s at Champs-Elysées in Paris has a neon McDonald's sign with white arches. The new restaurant in Bruges, Belgium, also has white arches.
McDonald's Golden Arches building at 1540 W Foothill Blvd Upland has now been closed. Other McDonald’s on Route 66 in California include the first ever branch in San Bernardino, which has now been converted into a museum, the Golden Arches in La Verne, and the Monrovia vintage logo McDonald's.
Up Next: Cable Airport Upland